Water....Friend or Foe

To drink or not to drink… that is the question.  As many of you know, the first words you usually hear after a massage/therapy is “don’t forget to drink lots of water today!”  The most frequently observed answer, “YUCK…can I drink iced tea instead?”  A resounding “No” usually ends the questioning.  Have you ever asked why?  Why is water the recommended beverage from all massage therapists?



Over time the muscles in your body begin to collect and store waste products known as “toxins.”  Stress, improper nutrition and even exercise are the most common cause of these toxins.  Different types of toxins that interfere with your muscles normal performance are lactic acid, caffeine, sugar, salt alcohol and smoke.  When the muscle tissue is “worked” by the therapist the pushing and rubbing action causes the toxins to be directly deposited into the blood stream.   In order to eliminate those toxins from your bloodstream they must be flushed out by another source.  In comes the water.  If the toxins have no assistance in exiting the body they will return to the muscles and defeat the purpose of your massage altogether.  Water is a crucial aide for the body in its fight against toxins.  Other symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, and quite possibly headache will occur if the toxins are left floating around in your system.



If you don’t like the taste of water… dress it up a bit.  Don’t be afraid to add fresh squeezed lemon or orange juice to your water.  Or any other citrus fruit with detoxifying qualities.  Water is essential to you and to the health of your muscles.